read it here
An immortal being. Six individuals, trapped by fate. All of time and space.
Doorkeeper has lived for an eternity and more, the unyielding guardian of the Ways of time and space. His task: to reveal to mortals the consequences of their choices. He does not interfere.
But then he meets a doomed warrior. A boy with an imaginary friend. A would-be king. A world-weary musician. A priest with a crisis of faith. A scientist faced with the ultimate choice.
And Doorkeeper travels with them, from prehistory to dictatorship, from World War II to the frontiers of the far future. Through colonial Intranuros, alleyway bars, and half-imagined queendoms.
Doorkeeper watches, listens, and learns. He maintains the Ways. He does his duty.
But perhaps even the oldest of beings can change.
Praise for Doorkeeper
- “A wonderland.” – Jade Castro, CNN Philippines
- “Compelling…accessible…timeless.” - Jedd Ong, Young Star
- “An amazing collection of stories.” – Budjette Tan, author of Trese
- “A complex weaving [that] finds a home for the reader.” – Erik Cheski, Fanbase Press
Doorkeeper in the press
- Local artists, publishers share freebies amid the quarantine – Philippine Star
- 5 Filipino graphic novels that deserve their own Netflix show – This Is Hype
- After Trese, these Filipino komiks deserve their own animated adaptation – Metroscene Mag
- Pinay illustrators talk about their experiences working on comics – Cosmopolitan
- The Komikon report: Madly into the mainstream – Philippine Inquirer
- Let’s Talk Komiks: Ethan Chua and Scott Lee Chua on creating Philippine history / mythology comic Doorkeeper – Flipgeeks
Doorkeeper in the community
- In 2020 during the community quarantine, we put Doorkeeper up online for free, with the gracious support of Summit Books.
- We were humbled to learn that teachers have been using Doorkeeper in their history and literature classes. If you are reading Doorkeeper in your class, library program, or book club, we’d love to support you and your community — please reach out!
The Doorkeeper team
I created Doorkeeper together with my coauthor, Ethan Chua, as well as a team of fantastic Filipino artists. Their portfolios are linked here — please follow them, commission them, and make art with them!